Breast cancer awareness is gaining prominence all across the country. Thanks to the proactive approach by healthcare providers, a large number of people are acknowledging its high prevalence. However, it is not just how many people understand the basics of breast cancer, but also what they understand about it. There are several aspects of this wide-ranging topic that often get missed in general discussions. In this article, Dr. Rohan Khandelwal, a leading breast cancer specialist in Gurgaon has offered his insights on the lesser-known breast cancer symptoms.
Dr. Rohan Khandelwal can be consulted at the CK Birla Hospital for successful breast cancer treatment in Gurgaon.
What are the common symptoms of breast cancer?
Common symptoms of breast cancer include:
- A lump in the breast
- Change in shape, size or appearance of the breast
- Inverted nipple
- Thickening in part of the breast
Most men and women are aware of these commonly found signs of breast cancer. However, there are also certain symptoms that get overlooked.
What are the lesser-known breast cancer symptoms?
- Puckering – Puckering is a skin condition that causes slight wrinkles. If you see this skin issue anywhere on or around your breast, especially near the nipple or on the side of your breasts, you should consult a doctor to examine breast cancer. Puckering is a lesser-known sign of breast cancer. During the early stages, the tumor can disrupt the shape of the breasts by causing puckering. Sometimes, this issue is not noticeable. While doing a self-exam, you should stand in front of the mirror and raise your arms to see if this condition is present.
- Breast dimpling – Next you eat an orange, carefully notice the skin of its peel. It may have small dimples or pit on the outside. This is what breast dimpling looks like. Dimpling is another overlooked symptom of breast cancer. Skin dimpling occurs when the tumours begin to grow in the breast. The tumour changes the appearance of the breast in order to accommodate itself.
- Nipple discharge – If you experience discharge from your nipple without pressing it or triggering it somehow, you should immediately consult your doctor. Nipple discharge is an important medical concern and should be instantly highlighted to the doctor.
- Change in color of nipple – If your skin color on the nipple or areola changes suddenly, then you may need to consult a breast cancer specialist. Any changes to the appearance of breasts require clinical intervention. These changes mostly occur due to inflammation of breast tissues.
- The appearance of red spots – Sudden appearance of red spots or patches on the skin are also less known signs of breast cancer. Sometimes these red spots also become very hot due to skin inflammation. This symptom is very rare, however, if you see red or pink spotting you should consult a doctor instantly.
- Breast pain – Though it is not a highly uncommon symptom, it is often overlooked while determining breast cancer. Sometimes women mistake slight discomfort or pain as muscular pain. In case you experience sudden throbbing pain at any part of your chest, you should consult with an oncologist and have them diagnose it.
Besides the signs mentioned above, peeling, scaling or crusting of skin on the breasts are also symptoms that highlight the presence of breast cancer.
It is possible that the above-given symptoms do not necessarily indicate breast cancer. They are also signs of some conditions such as mastitis. It is, therefore, important to have regular breast exams and screenings through a verified expert.
Accurate diagnosis and breast cancer treatment in Gurgaon is available at the CK Birla Hospital. You can book an appointment with Dr. Rohan Khandelwal for more information on breast cancer.